The Dwell® and Pacific Standard Time™ LEGO® Modern Home Design Competition Official Rules
LEGO®, its marks and logo are trademarks of The LEGO Group. ©2012 The LEGO Group. All rights reserved. Used with permission.
No Purchase Necessary to Enter or Win. Purchase of any product or service offered by the Sponsors or payment of any kind will not improve chances of winning.
1. Sponsors: The Dwell® and Pacific Standard Time™ LEGO® Modern Home Design Competition (“Competition”) is sponsored by Dwell Media, LLC (“Dwell”), located at 550 Kearny Street, Suite 710, San Francisco, CA 94108, and The J. Paul Getty Trust, located at 1200 Getty Center Drive, Los Angeles, CA 90049 (together “Sponsors”).
2. Partner: LEGO Systems, Inc. (“LSI”), located at 555 Taylor Road, Enfield, CT 06082, is a partner in the Competition (“Partner”).
3. Eligibility: Any individual who enters the Competition (“Entrant”) must be at least the age of legal majority in the state in which they reside. The Competition is open only to legal residents of the fifty United States and the District of Columbia. The Competition is subject to all applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations, and is void where prohibited by law. Employees of Sponsors or Partner and their immediate families (spouse, parent, sibling, child, and spouse of any of the foregoing) and those living in their immediate households, whether or not related, are not eligible to enter the Competition or to win the prize.
4. Design Competition Challenge: Create an original design of a home in the California mid-century modern style and construct a model of it using LEGO bricks and elements. Models using anything other than LEGO bricks and elements for the main structure will be disqualified. Any non-LEGO brand material must only be used for the sake of structural integrity (if necessary) such as glue, adhesive, steel, etc.
5. Entry Period: The entry period for the Competition begins at 3:00 pm Pacific Daylight Time on March 1, 2012 and ends at 11:59 p.m. Pacific Daylight Time on March 29, 2012 (“Entry Period”). Entries will be accepted on Dwell.com at new.dwell.com/contests/lego-modern-home-design-competition. Entries received before or after the Entry Period will not be considered.
6. How to Enter: To enter, go to new.dwell.com/contests/lego-modern-home-design-competition during the Entry Period and follow the instructions to submit entry information. A complete entry consists of the following: (A) a completed entry form available at new.dwell.com/contests/lego-modern-home-design-competition, (B) a minimum of one (1) and a maximum of four (4) photo(s) of your model in .png or .jpg format, (C) a title for your design; and (D) a description of your design in a maximum of 250 words (together, the "Submission"). Each Entrant may submit more than one entry, up to a maximum of three unique entries. All Submissions must be submitted via new.dwell.com/contests/lego-modern-home-design-competition. Mailed or hard copy Submissions will not be accepted. Incomplete Submissions will be void, and Sponsors disclaim any obligation to notify entrants of incomplete Submissions. Submissions must be received by Dwell during the Entry Period to be considered. Proof of entry will not be deemed to be proof of receipt by Dwell.
7. Rights Definition: As used in these Official Rules, the term “Rights” shall mean rights of copyright, patent, trademark and service mark, publicity, privacy, trade secret, character, trade dress, and all other proprietary and personal rights of any kind whatsoever, together with any and all applications, registrations, renewal and extension rights, and rights to sue for any past, present, or future infringement or violation.
8. Originality of Submissions: Each Entrant must have all Rights in and to his or her Submission as of the time of entry to the Competition. By entering a Submission, each Entrant represents and warrants that: (A) the design and the model thereof are original creations of the Entrant; (B) the Entrant is the exclusive owner of the Rights related to the Submission, including but not limited to the Rights in the design and the model thereof, to: (i) enter such Submission in this Competition and (ii) to grant to Sponsors all rights necessary to use the Submission in the Competition and as provided in these Rules; and (C) no other person or entity has any Rights in the Submission or any component thereof or is entitled to any payment for the use of the Submission. A Submission must not have been, and may not be, entered in any other competition or previously published or fabricated. Modifying, enhancing or altering a third party's preexisting work does not qualify as an Entrant's original creation. Each Entrant agrees to indemnify and hold harmless the Sponsors, and each of them, from and against all claims or damages arising out of the use of such Entrant’s Submission. Sponsors reserve the right to void and/or disqualify any Submission if found in Sponsors’ sole discretion to be inconsistent with the above representations and warranties, plagiarized, copied, or fraudulent, to infringe upon existing Rights of others, or to be incomplete, damaged, obscene, vulgar, offensive or otherwise unsuitable for any reason. No Submission may violate the privacy rights of any person (living or deceased) or entity.
9. Sponsors' Use of and Control Over Submissions: Each Entrant grants Sponsors the right to copy, display, publish and otherwise use their Submission and the design embodied therein for judging, voting, marketing, promotional and display purposes related to the Competition. Each Entrant further agrees that if their entry is selected as one of the five finalists, the physical model and all materials shipped with it to Dwell shall become the property of Dwell. By entering a Submission, each Entrant irrevocably grants the foregoing rights to Sponsors, without expectation of compensation or acknowledgement (other than the prize, if any, that is awarded as set forth in these Official Rules). Sponsors shall have no obligation to make attribution with respect to the Submission, retain any of the Submissions, or maintain any information or ideas contained therein as confidential or proprietary. Each Submission must be in good taste and consistent with Sponsors’ respective positive images and may not be offensive or inappropriate, as determined by Sponsors in their sole discretion. The Sponsors may, in their sole discretion, and without providing notice to or receiving consent from an Entrant, modify, change, adapt, or otherwise alter a Submission to meet the requirements of publication, reproduction or display. The rights granted under this paragraph are without compensation or notification to the Entrant of any kind, except as required by law, and shall extend to all Submissions, all other materials submitted by an Entrant, and all other materials developed in connection with the Competition, regardless of whether they are developed by the Entrant or another person or entity.
10. Right to Use Name, Likeness, and Other Identifying Information: By entering a Submission, each Entrant hereby irrevocably consents to the display, performance, and other use by Sponsors and their respective successors and assigns of his/her name; image; likeness; voice; biographical information; statements and quotes; stories and anecdotes; all of his/her other personal or commercial attributes or identifying features (any or all of the foregoing, “Likeness”) for any purposes related to this Competition, and in any format or medium now existing or later developed. All Entrants hereby waive any and all rights of publicity and rights of privacy associated with the Sponsors’ use of any Likeness. Entrants shall have no right of notice or approval, no claim to compensation, and no claim (including, without limitation, claims based on invasion of privacy, defamation, or right of publicity) arising out of any use, blurring, alteration, or use in composite form of a Likeness.
11. Voting Period, Judging and Selection of Finalists: From approximately March 31, 2012 through April 15, 2012, the following elements of all qualified entries will be posted on dwell.com without any information identifying the Entrants: (1) one or more of the photographs submitted, in the sole discretion of Dwell; (2) the title of the submission; and (3) the written description of the design. Dwell reserves the right to crop, resize or otherwise alter the photographs in order to meet the requirements of publication. The five most popular qualified entries will be determined by the public through online voting at new.dwell.com/contests/lego-modern-home-design-competition/submissions/vote. The five Entrants whose entries received the most votes (“Finalists”) will be notified by Dwell via e-mail on or about April 16, 2012 that their designs were selected by the public. If any Finalist does not respond within forty eight (48) hours to such notification, or elects not to participate further in the Competition, the next most popular entry will be substituted. Finalists will be responsible for securing, insuring, and shipping or otherwise transporting their models to Los Angeles, California for display by Dwell at Dwell on Design® 2012, to be held at the Los Angeles Convention Center from June 22- 24, 2012. Dwell will reimburse up to $100 to each Finalist for his/her actual and reasonable costs for insuring and shipping or transporting the model to the Los Angeles Convention Center, provided that written proof of such expense is submitted to Dwell not later than July 10, 2012. Any expense in excess of $100 is the responsibility of the Finalist. All Finalists must adhere to the schedule and deadlines established in Dwell’s sole discretion in order to ensure timely and complete display of the models at Dwell on Design. Dwell reserves the right to disqualify any Finalist who does not meet the deadlines and other requirements for display and to select an alternative entrant to be a Finalist. Dwell shall have no obligation to preserve or return any model to any Finalist; and all materials submitted to Dwell shall become the sole property of Dwell.
12. Winner Selection: Dwell will take reasonable precautions to secure the display of the five Finalists’ models, but Sponsors shall have no liability for damage to or destruction of any model from any cause. In the event of irreparable damage to an entry at the Convention Center, judging shall be from the photographs submitted as part of the Submission. On June 22, 2012, a panel of judges selected by Sponsors will select the winner from the five Finalist entries on display at Dwell on Design, using the following criteria: originality, effective evocation of classic California mid-century modern style, quality of model construction, unique response to the Competition challenge, and interesting use of LEGO bricks to construct model. Sponsors’ decisions in selecting the winner and in all matters relating to the Competition are final and binding. The winner will be announced at Dwell on Design not later than 5 p.m. on June 24, 2012, and the five Finalists, the winning entry, and the identity of the winner will be announced on Dwell.com, and the winner will be notified by email and phone, between June 25, 2012 and July 4, 2012. If the potential winner chooses not to accept the prize, the Finalist deemed by the judges in their sole discretion to be the runner up will be selected as the new winner. The Sponsors are not responsible for and shall not be liable for late, lost, misdirected, or unsuccessful efforts to notify the potential winner.
13. Prize: The grand prize winner selected by Judges will receive a cash prize of $250.00, one (1) “Ice Cube” poster, and a selection of LEGO Architecture building sets including: LEGO Architecture Solomon R. Guggenheim® Museum, LEGO Architecture Fallingwater®, LEGO Architecture White House, LEGO Architecture Rockefeller Center, LEGO Architecture Farnsworth House, and LEGO Architecture Robie House. The five (5) Finalists will each receive a VIP ticket to Dwell on Design and two (2) LEGO Architecture building sets: LEGO Architecture Empire State Building and LEGO Architecture Burj Khalifa.
14. Taxes and Documentation: All federal, state, and local taxes on the monetary value of the prize are the sole responsibility of the winner. If needed, a 1099 tax statement will be filed with the IRS and the winner will be required to sign a W-9 form and a Winner’s Agreement, which will include an affidavit of eligibility and publicity and liability releases. Failure to do so will result in forfeiture of the prize.
15. General Conditions: By participating in the Competition, Entrants agree to abide by the terms of these Official Rules and by the decisions of the Sponsors and the judges, which will be final and binding on all matters pertaining to this Competition. Should there be a dispute regarding who may have entered a Submission, that Submission will be deemed to have been made by the authorized holder of the e-mail account from which the Submission was made at the time the Submission was made. The authorized account holder is deemed to be the natural person who is assigned to an e-mail address by an Internet access provider, online service provider, or other organization that is responsible for assigning e-mail addresses or the domain associated with the submitted e-mail address. By participating in the Competition, Entrants release, acquit, and forever discharge Sponsors (and Sponsors’ respective affiliates and subsidiaries) and their respective officers, directors, employees, agents, successors and assigns (collectively, the "Released Parties") from any and all manner of action or actions, suits, claims, damages, judgments, levies and executions, whether known or unknown, liquidated or unliquidated, fixed, contingent, direct or indirect, which an entrant and his or her successors and assigns ever had, has, or may have, or claim to have against the Released Parties, for, upon, or by reason of any matter, act, or thing relating to the Competition. The Sponsors may modify, suspend, or terminate the Competition at any time, and for any reason that they may determine in their sole discretion. Sponsors reserve the right in their sole discretion to disqualify any entrant, and remove such entrant's Submission from the Competition, who tampers with the entry process, with any model, or with the operation of the Competition or who acts in violation of these Official Rules. ANY ATTEMPT BY AN ENTRANT OR ANY OTHER INDIVIDUAL TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEB SITE OR MODEL, OR TO UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE COMPETITION MAY BE A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS. SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, SPONSORS RESERVE THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH PERSON TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
16. Privacy Policies: In addition to the usage rights described in these Official Rules, by entering the Competition, entrants agree and consent that any information provided upon entering may be used by Sponsors and Partner in accordance with their respective Privacy Policies located at dwell.com/privacy, getty.edu/legal/privacy.html and aboutus.lego.com/en-us/legal-notice/Privacy-Policy.
17. Disputes/Choice of Law: Each entrant agrees that the Competition shall be governed by the laws of the State of California and: (1) any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of or connected with the Competition shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by state or federal courts situated in California; (2) any and all claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, but in no event attorneys’ fees; (3) no punitive, incidental, special, consequential or other damages, including without limitation lost profits may be awarded (collectively, "Special Damages"); and (4) each entrant hereby waives all rights to claim Special Damages. Under no circumstances shall Sponsors’ aggregate liability to any entrant of the Competition exceed One Hundred Dollars ($100).